The story of Epsilon Delta began in 1958 with the organization of local sorority Pi Sigma Upsilon. The founders wanted a group that would embody the high ideals and standards for which they stood. In the fall of 1964, the local group began to look for a national sorority that most closely matched their ideals, and in 1965, Epsilon Delta was installed on Founders' Day with 79 charter members, including 61 collegians, 12 alumnae initiates and six honorary initiates. One of the alumna initiates was Irene Erskine, a biology professor at Western who had served as an advisor to the local since 1960. She then became Epsilon Delta's chapter advisor, a position she held until she retired in 1985. For many years, the chapter made their home in Terrace Hall (later called Gilbert Hall). In the early 1990s, the university built a new sorority dorm where most members lived and chapter meetings were held. About that time, the chapter purchased a lovely two-story home that is adjacent to campus where the executive officers lived. That home was sold to the university in 2007. The chapter bought an apartment building and remodeled it in 2008. Rita Wade Marshall, Judi Maxfield Bilyeu and Kathryn "Kathy" Birkett served for years on both the local and international levels. Epsilon Delta received the Golden Lion Award in 1995.