Founded May 15, 1851, The Adelphean Society was the first secret society for college women in the world and was founded at Wesleyan Female College, the first college in the world chartered to grant degrees to women. In 1904 , after flourishing for more than 50 year at Wesleyan, the Adelphean members decided to secure a charter and "go national." In 1905, before starting expansion efforts, they adopted the name Alpha Delta Phi. After learning of a fraternity of the same name, the convention delegates voted to change the name to Alpha Delta Pi in 1913. A change of faculty in 1914 led to the administration's decision to eliminate sororities at Wesleyan and the last members of Alpha chapter graduated in 1916. Alpha chapter members are woven into every thread of our history. Alpha produced our first three Grand Presidents: Elizabeth Moseley Coles, Newel Mason and Jewel Davis Scarborough. Grand Council members include Theodosia Davis Warren, Dorothy Blount Lamar, Emily Humber White, Fannie Prescott Ross, Lillian Moore Hume, Eleanor Hunter, Caro Twitty Martin, Grace Troutman Wilson and Gladys Tilley Chambers.