The first meeting of the Sororis Club was in October 1916. Alpha Iota was founded from these beginnings with 18 charter members. During World War II, it was difficult to find women to join, so the charter was returned in 1943. Strong alumnae support helped to bring the charter back in 1946. From then until 1959, the chapter house was on Bigelow Boulevard. Due to university expansion, sororities were moved to Amos Hall with a lottery held to select a floor. Alpha Iota won and chose the 10th floor - the Penthouse Suite. Amos Hall had been apartments at one time so the suite was complete with servants' rooms, lavish closets, mahogany halls and a marble fireplace. The suite has been altered to be more functional for the chapter with sleeping quarters for several sisters. Louise Hetherington served as an international officer for 20 years. Angela Pace Kamin, Epsilon Lambda - South Florida, and Jamie Grossberger Alderman, Delta Kappa - Penn State, are long-serving advisors.