In 1919, a group of eight Theta chapter members who had transferred from Lawrence College helped to colonize Alpha Mu chapter. The chapter became the 17th national sorority on campus. They purchased and decorated a house near campus, then the next year they sold the house for a profit and bought a new home in the heart of the fraternity district. In 1924, it was sold and a larger and more convenient house was purchased. Alpha Mu members were active in organizations on campus and worked hard to raise scholarship scores; however, the Madison campus was large and the chapter never established a strong presence. The chapter did not reopen in 1935. Many alumnae continued their involvement including long-serving Grand Vice President Mary Esther Hedley Van Akin.