Alpha Pi began as local Theta Lambda Sigma, which meant "The" Local Society. They were installed with 16 charter members. In 1950, Mildred "Millie" McDowell Mathias was selected as the only member to receive the first Dorothy Shaw Award. The chapter closed in 1968 due to declining interest in the Greek system. However 75 years after Alpha Pi was originally installed, the charter was returned to the chapter. The 50 charter members came from diverse backgrounds and at their installation, they expressed their diversity by performing the Creed in 16 languages, as well as in sign language. Lyn Staver Neira and Laura Belle Wyatt Macrae served for many years as international officers, Alumna Lt. Col. Mary Janice Hale was the first female Marine Officer to retire with 20 years service. Lauren Kravetz, Alpha Chi - UCLA, has served as chapter advisor for many years.