Gamma Beta was installed with 56 charter members. The chapter was quick to reverse the stereotype of sororities being only a social organization, and in their first year, 15 girls were members in honorary or scholarship organizations, others acted in plays and musicals, played sports and one served as president of Panhellenic. In their eighth year, the chapter moved into its new home that was built in 1931. It housed 33 members on three spacious floors and boasted a view of Lake Michigan. The chapter was strong in scholarship and a multiple winner of May Sing. In 1984, alumna Louann Hurter VanZelst was the first woman president of the Northwestern University Alumni Association. The chapter closed in 1971 because of low interest in Greek life. The chapter was recolonized in fall of 2000, with recruitment of upper class women. Formal recruitment was held in January 2001, and the chapter was reinstalled in conjunction with District IV workshop on March 31 with all workshop attendees participating. The chapter closed again in 2006 due to low numbers.