Becoming the sixth national sorority at Rhode Island, Gamma Lambda was installed with 34 charter members. The group formed out of local sorority Theta Alpha Epsilon, which began as the Trident Club in 1944. Members lived in one wing of the West Annex and had a one-room meeting place in Eleanor Roosevelt Hall. The very week after installation the chapter won first place and best director awards in the annual campus Interhouse Sing. At their 50th anniversary, they celebrated with a mortgage burning ceremony. Sheila Kane Higgins had a long record of service as an advisor.