Sally Cramer Fox and Alice Starr Chekian of Alpha Theta transferred from the University of Washington to MSU to assist with the establishment of a new colony in the fall of 1955. Gamma Omega was formally installed in 1956 with 38 collegiate members, six alumnae and two special members. Sally served as president and Alice was vice president and membership selection chair before returning to Washington and serving as Alpha Theta president. The chapter began in a small house on Charles Street, then they purchased an apartment house in fall 1957 where 32 sisters lived. As the chapter outgrew their home, they purchased a vacant lot across the street with ground breaking in the spring of 1963 and dedication in 1964. Throughout the chapter's 22-year history, the members were involved in many campus activities, however, the chapter closed in 1978 after an unsuccessful special rush effort by the international organization.