Local sorority Kappa Sigma Nu was founded in 1942. Their name was significant: K for knowledge, S for sisterhood and N for nobility. Their colors were blue for trueness and gold for purity. The group became Gamma Psi chapter in 1956 with 32 collegians, 62 alumnae, two special initiates and three honorary initiates. Tuition rose steadily at the University of Houston, leading many students to obtain work to afford the education, and consequently rush numbers dropped. Rather than sacrifice the high standards of membership, the charter was declared inactive in 1960.