The Phoreff sorority was formed in 1935 to provide greater social opportunities for women on campus. The name had a secret meaning and was the basis for the club - 4 F's, meaning Faithful Friendships Formed Forever. In 1944, the Phoreffs changed their name to Delta Chi Delta, and in 1953 the group petitioned Alpha Delta Pi. Gamma Upsilon was installed on December 5, 1953, with 28 charter members. The chapter met in a chapter room in College Inn (formerly Holiday Inn converted to a dormitory) for decades, but moved into a new home in a new sorority complex in 2005. As part of North Texas' 100th anniversary, the Phoreff/Delta Chi Deltas donated three trees and a plaque as part of the 100 Trees for 100 Years campaign, celebrating their lifelong sisterhood. Alumna Kay Ludden Lamb served as an advisor from 1979 to 1995, and former Grand Council member Elisse Jones Freeman, Alpha Zeta - SMU, served as chapter advisor for many years. Barbara Brasseaux White also served as an advisor and international officer. Gamma Upsilon also is home to retired professional golfer Sandra Palmer.