Kappa chapter originated at Judson College as the local sorority Alpha Nu Sigma before being installed as Kappa chapter in 1910. School administration closed the chapter at Judson in 1919, but Alpha Delta Pi transferred the charter to a petitioning group at Howard College, now Samford University that same year. Kappa has a tradition of excellence, continuously placing first in scholarship and Step Sing. They have been awarded Diamond Four Point almost every year since it was established in 1970. They have received the Golden Lion Award 13 times, the most of any chapter. Because of tremendous sorority growth at Samford, university officials built new residence halls and offered them to Greek organizations. Kappa's home, which opened in 1990, houses 76 members. The chapter room was named for Velma Neal Griffin and Sarah "Sally" Blackburn Dozier, two long-time advisors. Sally also designed the Jewel Degree ribbon that has been used since 1979 and she was named Alumna of the Year in 1993. Grand Council members include Evelyn Hix, Virginia Bishop Browder and Leigh Dozier Taylor. Former District VI Team Director Linda Phillips Allen served in countless ways as did Whitney Wheeler Pickering and Martha Howard Moore. Long-serving advisors include Janis Purdy Clements, Eta - Alabama and Carolyn Clay Biggins, who also held several international positions, and International President Claire Brown Gwaltney, both of Beta Omega - Auburn, as well as Kappa alumnae Kathy Perrigin Clay and Lori Littlejohn Sullivan. Martha Green Isom also has a long service record.