Local sorority Zeta Omega Phi organized at Lawrence College in 1905. They were a successful addition to campus, and petitioned Alpha Delta Phi to become Theta chapter. In 1908, Grand President Newel Mason took a train from Georgia to Wisconsin to install them as the first national sorority at Lawrence and the first Alpha Delta Phi chapter outside of the South. The fall of 1908 found 11 members furnishing their new chapter room. Theta was very active both on campus and in the Appleton community. Jessica North MacDonald, an accomplished writer, authored Alpha Delta Pi's first history in 1928, then updated it in 1931 and served as Adelphean Editor. She also wrote the words for the National Song. Dorothy Richardson Buell also served as editor. After 60 strong years, Theta closed in 1969 due to growing opposition to Greeks.