Kappa Tau local sorority was founded in 1922 with the goal of affiliation with a national organization and in 1926 they were installed as Beta Alpha chapter. The first year was not easy with only six returning actives, two pledges, and no house in which to live. By the end of the school year, membership had grown to 29 and Beta Alpha's list of activities grew. In 1945, Life magazine chronicled Homecoming festivities at Indiana and they were recognized and pictured in the article. The chapter closed in 1952. Beta Alpha returned in 1984, joining a large Greek system of 33 fraternities and 19 sororities. After living in a residence hall for 9 years, a new 26,000 square foot house was dedicated in October 1993. The traditional-style home houses nearly 100 collegians and features a grand piano on loan from Gamma Epsilon chapter at Purdue. The library in the house is dedicated to alumna and benefactor Helen Grove Snellenburg. Jeanne Posillico Hansen served as Adelphean Editor and Dorothy Taylor and Ann Brewer McNamar, Gamma Epsilon - Purdue served as advisors for many years.