In 1924, a group formed social club Phi Gamma Mu. Their sights turned toward becoming a national, which became a reality in 1929 when Beta Eta was installed with 39 charter members. The beginning was challenging, competing with 22 sororities on campus and the Depression looming. However, the chapter moved to its current location on South Forest Avenue during the Depression in 1933. Several additions and renovations have taken place through the years. Mildred MacArthur Darnton was Alumna of the Year in 1979. Rosemary Brown Bartalemeolli, Mary Jo Freeman Clark, Patricia O'Brien and Cara Kunkel have long service records. Beta Eta received the Golden Lion Award three times.