Southwestern University, Georgetown, Texas, February 9, 1907
Southwestern University, Texas' oldest university, is the home of Zeta chapter. A group of young ladies gathered on Thanksgiving Day in 1899, in Georgetown to form a local sorority. They called themselves Beta Sigma and became the first sorority at Southwestern. Negotiations with Alpha Delta Phi began in 1905, but due to faculty opposition to national sororities, Zeta wasn't installed until 1907. Delta chapter helped with initiation. The 1909 Convention was held in Georgetown with Zetas serving as hostesses. A fire in 1925 destroyed the Women's Building and all past records; however, collegians and alumnae worked diligently to recreate membership records. Zeta celebrated its 90th anniversary in 1997 with the grand opening of a new chapter room. Charter member Flora Root Cody was Texas State Membership Chairman for 21 years. She and her husband were generous benefactors to the sorority, as well as the university which is home to the Cody Memorial Library. Grand Council members include Gladys Snyder Whitcomb, Paula Garrison Feagin, Abigail Davis and Fay Kennedy Cannon. Long-serving international officers include Betty Lee Picard, Frances Poulson Hall and Dakota Ehman Sterling, who served on the 150th Anniversary Committee until her untimely death in 1995. Zeta is a six-time Golden Lion Award winner.