University of California, Berkeley, December 6, 1913
In 1910 a group called the Carnarvon Club organized, rented and furnished a house and chose a Welsh harp as their insignia. This group was installed in 1913 as Psi chapter with 29 initiates. The 1915 Alpha Delta Pi Convention was held in Berkeley. Charter member Irene Patchett Smith, who was also a charter member of the Carnarvon Club, was selected convention manager. The convention was a huge success and Irene was elected Grand Secretary even though she only visited the convention briefly because of the birth of her daughter. She was then elected Grand President in 1917. Psi chapter occupied several houses until 1931 when the Tudor-style house that had been the Phoebe Hearst estate was acquired. The house was recognized immediately as the showplace of the campus. In 1934, "Central Office" was moved to the Hotel Claremont in Berkeley under the direction of Psi alumna Eleanor Abrott Harris. Eleanor developed thee first professional accounting system for collegiate chapters that would soon become a model for all other NPC groups. Alumna Betty Scott Schiller also worked in the Central Office and had a life-long service record to the sorority as did Lois Swabel, who was one of three selected as the first Traveling Collegiate Secretaries in 1933. Lois, along with Juanita Stack Clarke, Shirley Hinz Newton and Annette Saville Nicolaisen, served as Psi advisors from the mid-1940s until 1981. In addition to Irene Patchett Smith and Eleanor Abrott Harris, Grand Council members include Marian Underwood and Joan Sutton Knox who has served in countless ways including service as a Foundation Trustee and as a member of the 150th Anniversary Committee. Molly Patchett Hendrickson served as State Membership Chair and as Province President for several years. Barbara Tye Jaeger designed the Foundation logo.