Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, October 15, 1915-1998
Alpha Delta Pi became the first sorority at Southern Methodist University in 1915, the same year the university opened. Until 1925, the chapter used a campus hall for meetings, then for several years SMU vacillated on the issue of sorority housing. In 1951, the chapter house was opened in a prime location on sorority row. Leadership and scholarship were always stressed, as was evident in the leadership roles of Alpha Zetas on campus. Fredrika Wilbur was the first editor of the campus newspaper in 1934. One year found three of the 10 "M" awards (the highest individual honor at SMU) going to Alpha Zeta members. The chapter received the Golden Lion Award in 1989. Grand Council members include Lilita Wilson McCorkle, Lucille Barksdale Renner, Anne Veale Pogson and Elisse Jones Freeman, as well as, Kathryn Peddy Goddard who served for two years as a TCS before taking on many other rules, including serving as International President and NPC delegate. Carolyn Wiltse Morton, Martha Steele and Jean Jones Saunders also have long records of service. Long-serving local alumnae include Jan Hancock Woodridge, Elda Nilson Martino, Sigma - Illinois; Joan Reisch Boddie, Beta Pi - Cincinnati and Hazel Nunn Rogers, Delta - Texas, who was instrumental in saving the Greek system at SMU in the early 1960s. The chapter closed in 1998.