Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, October 5, 1923-1937; re-established April 30, 1949-1967
Alpha Sigma began as the local Sigma Tau Epsilon with 12 members, two of whom were Alpha Delta Pis. Chartered as Alpha Sigma in 1923 with 16 members, they were the first national sorority at Ohio Wesleyan. In 1928, the chapter was allowed to occupy two rooms on the "main drag" to use for meetings and socials. In spring 1929, they rented a house and subsequently moved to a new house in 1935. The chapter was closed during the Depression and then re-chartered in 1949 with 27 initiates. A new lodge, designed by alumna Ann Kramer, was built on Sorority Circle in 1954. The chapter closed in 1967 due to declining interest in Greeks. Alumna Kathryn "Kay" Kaufman Burnett served for more than 30 years as an international officer and also was a long-serving member of the House Corporation for Beta Psi chapter at the University of Kentucky.