Hunter College of CUNY, New York, New York, June 14, 1927-1965
Omega Iota, a local sorority, was founded in 1901 and was the oldest Greek-letter sorority on campus when they petitioned Alpha Delta Pi in 1925. They were installed June 24, 1927 at the Hotel Biltmore. "Charles Lindbergh was being honored by New York with a parade that day, clogging traffic and making many sisters late for the banquet. It added to the excitement of our becoming Alpha Delta Pi," recalls charter member Margaret Wirth Blaha. A search began for an apartment to call home, but the Wall Street crash halted those plans and meetings were held at homes of members until Hunter purchased the New York City home of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The home was used as a social center with rooms assigned for sorority use. Beta Deltas always had fine grades and were active in Hunter organizations. In 1962, Beta Delta was the first sorority to receive all four awards given by Panhellenic. In 1964, Hunter College asked for complete local autonomy for sorority chapters. In protest, Alpha Delta Pi and all other NPC groups left campus in 1965. The remaining members continued as the local sorority Alpha Delta Chi. Margaret Wirth Blaha, Elena Betancourt Ekeblad and Ethel Ahrens Holske served on the local and international levels for many years.