Mercer University, Macon, Georgia, November 13, 1937
In 1937, Alpha Delta Pi returned to the city of its founding, with the installation of Beta Sigma. The chapter began in 1930 as Alpha Kappa, the first social sorority on campus and then became the first national sorority. After several relocations, the chapter moved into the Panhellenic house in 1970. In the early 1980s, sororities were relocated to small houses that had previously been faculty housing. In fall 2000, the new Panhellenic Village opened which includes a separate house for each group. The chapter rents the house where 10 members live. Beta Sigma has many traditions linked to our history, including frequently placing flowers on the grave of Founder Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald. Deen Day Sanders has contributed to the sorority in countless ways, such as serving as honorary chairman of Hubbard Memorial Gardens and providing the seed money for the Foundation Clasped Hands Fund. In honor of her late husband, Cecil B. Day, she established the Day Butterfly Center at Callaway Gardens that delegates to Leadership Conferences in the 1980s and '90s enjoyed. She was Alumna of the Year in 1981. An Executive Office manager, Sally Beggs Thomas served on Grand Council as did charter member Helen Glenn who, as Executive Director, moved the office to Atlanta. Lorie Brown Jenson also served as Executive Director. Karen Henzl Reece was Archivist for more than 20 years. Naomi Brooks Gerson, Iota - Florida State, was a long-serving advisor. International officer Jennifer Brown Arends has a long service record.