University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, September 11, 1948
The University of Florida became a coeducational institution in 1947 and sent a new precedent in activating their women's Panhellenic program by installing five groups on the same day, September 12, 1948 in the University's auditorium. Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Kappa Delta made up the newly formed Panhellenic. Alpha Delta Pi had initiated Gamma Iota charter members on the previous day. The chapter was colonized by six members of three other chapters - Lambda, Brenau; Iota, Florida State and Gamma Delta, Miami - who transferred to Florida in September 1947 with the purpose of colonizing the chapter. One of the colonizers, Barbara Glenn Reeves of Lambda chapter was involved for many years and was a Province President. Ellen Buckhannan Gray served as an advisor for more than 20 years and also was a Province President. Gay Elwes Fair, Iota - Florida State, also was a long-serving advisor. Gamma Iota received the Golden Lion Award in 1997.