East Tennessee State University - Johnson City, Tennessee, November 13, 1954
Gamma Phi began as the Mary Moore Davis Literary Society in 1913. The group's name changed to Pi Sigma Society in 1916 and Pi Sigma Sorority in 1940. The local was installed as Gamma Phi chapter in 1954 becoming the first NPC group on campus, although Kappa Delta was installed later the same weekend. A Panhellenic tea was held at ETSU President Dossett's home. Mrs. Dossett (Nelle Jennings) was an honorary initiate and mother of two Alpha Kappa daughters. In 1995, the chapter funded a $25,000 room at the local Ronald McDonald House. They were the first sorority on campus to implement alcohol awareness and the use of wristbands. Melissa Mahan Nicol served for many years as an advisor to Delta Alpha chapter at Emory and as a Province Director. Rhonda Vanhoy Bishop, Stephanie Wright and Debbie Tilson Gill have long records of service. Tammie S. Pinkston also has a long service record, including service on Grand Council. The chapter received the Golden Lion in 2009.