University of La Verne, La Verne, California, April 9, 1988-1993
The University of La Verne is located just east of Los Angeles on land that was a Japanese internment camp during World War II. In 1942, interest to bring a national sorority to campus began and the local Delta Phi Pi was organized. Sigma Alpha Pi local was founded in 1981 and local Delta Delta Epsilon was started in 1983. In 1985, the youngest local, Delta Delta Epsilon petitioned Alpha Delta Pi and they were colonized in 1986. Before Eta Iota was installed in 1988, members of the other two locals joined and the charter group included members from the locals, as well as others pledged during open rush. Members from Alpha Chi at UCLA, Alpha Psi at USC and Eta Kappa at CSU - San Bernardino assisted with installation. The chapter had no permanent living or meeting space on campus. Eta Iota set a wonderful example of sisterhood when they pledged a deaf member and another member learned how to sign so she could interpret during initiation. The chapter closed in 1993 due to a lack of interest in Greek life on campus.